Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Solo Show this weekend : Penumbra

3 Solo Shows : Amy Sol, Stella Im Hultberg & Nicoletta Ceccoli

i have an upcoming (mini) solo show opening this weekend at Copro Gallery in Santa Monica, CA,
alongside two amazing artists - amy sol & nicoletta ceccoli!

Amy Sol "Wilderness Buffet"/ Stella Im Hultberg "Penumbra" / Nicoletta Ceccoli "Babes in Toyland"
Opening November 7th, 8-11:30PM
Copro Gallery
2525 Michigan Avenue T5 (Bergamot Station)
Santa Monica, CA 90404
(310) 829-2156

please contact the gallery for previews, inquiries, and purchases.

all pieces in the show are on paper this time.
oil & acrylic paintings on paper, and some tea-stained drawings as well.

i have shown numerous times with amy until last year,
so i'm glad to have another show with her this year.
i think we have solos paired up next year as well!

here's a piece i have in the flyer above :
All In A Whisper. 10"x17". Oil & Acrylic on Paper. © 2009.
All in a Whisper. 10"x17". Oil & Acrylic on Paper. ©2009.

here's my animated gif of the process (most of which was documented on my twitter).
alas, i always feel like i like somewhere in the earlier part of the process the most than the finished.
(my very first animated gif - tada!)



.......................

on a side note...

this was definitely the toughest show so far to prepare for.
not because of the show itself or anything else but just the circumstances leading up to finalizing it...
a couple tragic things that have happened
in the recent months have kind of derailed my mental state from calmly
conducting my usual business of painting for an upcoming show.

for the first time in my life, i was nearly late for the show...
i didn't find it easy to try and get my shit together and paint
when all i wanted to do was either be with the family
and/or just cry all day and stare at a wall.

the paintings definitely made a darker turn in the process than initially planned.
nor was i able to include as many as i had planned either.
i hope it's still somewhat enjoyable...

i'm glad i somehow did pull it through, but in some ways,
i feel a little heartless for it.

10 comments:

  1. oh~cool!!
    I cannot wait... hooray yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing a little bit of your process is very interesting, I love the final piece and also the messier stages. I can relate to liking earlier parts of the process more than the finished work, I seem to actually like my sketches the most when it seems more relaxed and free.

    It's terrible what you have had to go through in the past couple of months, and it's very impressive that you still managed to prepare work for this upcoming show. I don't think that I would have been able to do the same. I hope that from here on everything just gets better for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wild process, I like it! stage 2 is my favorite, with jsut the face and the raw paint streaking everywheres. I wouldn't be able to refine something like that that down to where you ended up. Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to show your painting process. I didn't realize the different layers and when you show each layer, they stand on their own so well too.

    I agree with Ganymede Girl. That was very impressive that you got all your work done for the show. I wouldn't have been able to do that either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stella, congratulations on the show!
    I hope things start to look up for you & your family soon.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stella, what a fantastic gif .. blown away by you. I'm so sorry for your loss and so impressed by your tenacity. Completely looking forward to seeing your work again, congratulations for making it through the madness somehow..
    xok8

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is amazing. I'll definitely show up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for all the kind comments and thoughts.
    hoping to see some of you at the opening! :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:08 PM

    You did amazing. I would never have been able to do anything if I were in that position. I know you said you feel heartless for it, but I think it probably made you stronger and helped you cope with everything. I hope things start looking up for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:18 PM

    thank you for sharing openly about having a hard time....your pieces turned out BEAUTIFULLY! so powerful and moving.
    you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete