Friday, November 05, 2010

Thinkspace 5 Year Anniversary Group Show

Limitless, Undying. 12"x24". Mixed Media on Canvas. © 2010.
Limitless, Undying. 12"x24". Mixed Media on Canvas. © 2010.

my piece for Thinkspace Gallery's 5 Year Anniversary Group Show this Saturday, November 6th!

more info here and preview of all works here!
and some peeks on juxtapoz, as well.

if you're near LA, please don't miss this show!
it'll be a great event by an awesome gallery, with an amazing line up of artists i admire.

..............................................................

my piece above was so hard to scan, because of all the dark colors
and texture of paint and canvas.
so here's another version of a photo of it hanging on the wall :

Limitless Undying, natural light

while drying :
drying

some earlier progress photos :

ghostly

studio today

this piece was started some months ago to loosen up my hand,
while finishing up another piece, which was getting a bit detail oriented and tight.

i didn't know where it was going to take me, and i just let my mind take me.
the stringy shapes are something i saw in my dream one night,
although it was sculptural in my dream.
this is a month-long fusion of my subconscious, really!

..............................................................

here's a short interview (that i was a bit late for so i'm not sure it'll publish) i did with
sour harvest, an art blog run by thinkspace.

5 Years - 5 Questions:

Tell us a little bit about your piece for Thinkspace's '5 Year Anniversary Show' this November?
"Limitless, Undying" is a piece I started months ago (last winter?) just to experiment on building up layers.
I worked on it little by little, in between other projects, and my feelings infused in it have evolved and changed during the months.
Still the idea of raveled thread-like form was the initial idea I carried all the way through.
Like other pieces I've done before with strings coming out of the mouth, maybe they stand for
our traces we leave behind - what we put out there in the world, words that are said, things we need to be responsible for...

What were you doing back in 2005 when Thinkspace started?
I was a product designer, just starting to draw and paint on the side for fun.
I was in my first art shows ever, and started making plans to be included in the project room wall
for new faces at Thinkspace Gallery in 2006.

Name 5 things you can't live without in your studio?
movies/music/podcasts, my macbook (for the movies/music/podcasts), any art supplies, keyboard (piano), heater in the winter.

Where do you hope to be 5 years from now?
hopefully still alive in NYC, happy with creating artwork, making lots of diverse genre of works,
and always learning.

What have you got coming up in 2011?
starting the year with a couple group shows in California and a mini solo in London,
and a group show at Thinkspace in the fall. Lots of other group shows throughout the year.
Definitely producing more work than this year, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment